Pages

We were seeking some adventure, a change of pace and simplicity. Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail is the plan. We will begin the hike on June 15, 2010. The trail dips, dances, swerves and rides across 2,658 miles of some of the most magnificent, breath-taking mountains in the United States. It begins at the border of Mexico, and goes through the back-country of California, Oregon and Washington, coming to an end in Manning Park, Canada, just a few miles across the border. We will be beginning this journey below Kennedy Meadows, CA, (about 650 miles into the trail) and hoping to complete the remaining 2,000ish miles up to Canada. We anticipate completing the trail in 4 months and end around September 15th. Wish us luck!


Thursday, July 15, 2010

Motel 6 - Agnuew Meadows 7/8/10 0 miles

Chris didn't exactly get a good night's rest last night. He was up and down all night with an upset stomach, throwing up and obviously had a fever. This was a rare occurrence since he had not been sick in the two years we had been together. We had planned on leaving the room around 8am, but he needed as much rest as possible and definitely didn't need to go back into the woods if he continued to feel bad. He slept in and then ate some breakfast. HE had st oped throwing up and didn't seem to have a fever anymore. We checked out at 12pm and headed to the post office to mail home a parie of my pants and sent out some post cards. Chris called Osprey to explain the problems with my pack and we headed to lunch, while waiting on their return call. Chris ate good and said that he was feeling better, although I as hesitant to believe him when he passed up sweets from Schat's Bakery. We then headed to the outdoor store, our final stop. The folks at Osprey called back and had us take some photos of my pack and email them. Afterwards, Chir spent a long while on the phone with them. Thanks to him, Osprey decided to have the store ship the pack to them so they could examine it (it the store agreed0 and give the store credit and allow me to take a new pack. The store agreed!! I was able to get a new Exos 58! This pack was smaller and lighter than my Xenon (it weighs 2lbs 8 oz) and I could fit all of my stuff in it perfectly! It is much more simple, with less straps on the outside and rides to much better and is so comfortable. I absolutely LOVE it and so do my back and shoulders! Chris's hard work paid off and we were very happy not to have to spent $229 for another pack. One more issue to take care of before we left town, my jeep, the only loose end left hanging. I made a phone call to the man interested and gave him the bottom dollar. He was very nice, but didn't seem to have an interest to budge on his offer. Disappointed, we went ahead and caught the trolley to our next bus stop. Ten minutes later, I received a phone call from Kim (the middle woman trying to help me sell my jeep) with good news! The guy had caller her and had decided to buy it! I screamed out with joy at the bus stop, receiving some odd looks, but kept on. I'm not a fan of leaving things undone, especially while losing money. Thanks so much Kim for all your help!! This day had turned out to be a good one and things had worked out in our favor AND the day wasn't over. We caught the bus to head up to the trailhead and began talking with the driver. We had planned on hiking 8 miles to the campsite. The driver informed us that he could actually drop us off there, because it was along the ride! Both of our eyes lit up, but with some shame. We are out here to hike, and that will be taking 8 miles off of the adventure. We discussed what we would miss out on. It is a beautiful section and we would actually miss out on the Devil's Postpile. Whatever! Chris mentioned that we had seen plenty of beautiful things. I agreed :) We cracked up and took the offer. WE got to our campsite around 5pm and the guilt vanished. Chris needed some more rest and I didn't feel a bit convicted for another relaxing day. We set up camp and had a great nap. Had some of Debbie's yummy treats for dinner and bedtime again. Back to the grind tomorrow and excited to get back out there. Hopefully Chris will be 100% tomorrow after antoher semi-restful day. If not, we'll take it slow. -KB

1 comment:

  1. I'm an Osprey gal myself. I have the Ariel 55 and 65 plus the Talon.

    Keep in mind that Osprey will repair your pack at no charge. I had some stitching come loose on my 55 and a small hole in the pocket. All I had to pay for was shipping to them. They took care of the rest.

    Clippers

    ReplyDelete