Pages

We were seeking some adventure, a change of pace and simplicity. Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail is the plan. We will begin the hike on June 15, 2010. The trail dips, dances, swerves and rides across 2,658 miles of some of the most magnificent, breath-taking mountains in the United States. It begins at the border of Mexico, and goes through the back-country of California, Oregon and Washington, coming to an end in Manning Park, Canada, just a few miles across the border. We will be beginning this journey below Kennedy Meadows, CA, (about 650 miles into the trail) and hoping to complete the remaining 2,000ish miles up to Canada. We anticipate completing the trail in 4 months and end around September 15th. Wish us luck!


Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bridgeport 7/16/10 Zero day

Today wouldn't actually be considered a relaxing zero day. WE had initially planned on leaving today, hoping to only stay one night in each town we stopped to resupply, in order to save money and continue gaining mileage on the trail. After hearing that my supposedly healthy Mom was in acute renal failure, our present and future plans were now on hold. She was currently in ICU with 13% kidney function in both kidneys, with no answers. I talked to her and she said that she was feeling much better, but her condition was very serious. She did not know what was going to happen. Dialysis had been mentioned to her as an option, but still no definite answers until lab tests come back tomorrow morning. Being so far away was really hard. I wish I could be there right now. This was just such an out of the blue occurrence, being that she had had no prior health concerns. Chris and I decided to stay in town again tonight to wait and find out the lab results in the a.m. I talked to family and friends on and off throughout the day, discussing her condition and seeking advice on what I should do. Did I need to go home not, wait until the morning, or what? I decided to wait to acquire the lab results and go from there. Chris and I went to the library and I mostly researched her condition so I wouldn't feel so in the dark. I wrote info on some note cards and researched dialysis to better understand the procedure. I felt better to know more, but it was scary. I talked to my Mom and she said that she was feeling better, but I was still worried sick. On top of this, I was informed that my grandma had to be taken to ER. My cousin was driving in from W. VA to help out and my aunt was doing everything she could for the two of them. Things seemed to be falling apart back home and there was nothing I could do but just sit and wait for updates. Chris and I both remained quiet throughout most of the day. We were both floating, thinking of what we could/should do. He was so supportive as always and gladly agreed to do whatever we needed to do. He told me his ideas on getting home and how we could start over from there. In my mind, I was prepared to head back tomorrow and be there for my mom and grandma. -KB

No comments:

Post a Comment